5426 SE Martin Court, Portland, OR 97206
Seeking a position with a creative and energetic engineering team to build
Dedicated software and hardware engineer with specific interests in internet
technologies, embedded systems, computer instrumentation, user interfaces, and
artistic application of technology.
FlightStats, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer (Jan 2013 - Present)
IFS (State Street)
AVP (May 2011 - Dec 2012)
- Refactoring! More refactoring! Wrangling legacy apps into submission.
Championing best practices, developing coding standards, working with
offshore teams, fighting the good fight...with throwing stars.
- Rewriting and refactoring legacy code in a gargantuan code base. Developing
new features and bug fixes.
- Advocating best practices, performing code reviews, developing standards
- Technologies: Agile (XP), Java, IntelliJ IDEA, JUnit, swing, Spring
framework, Sybase, RMI, Maven, Jenkins, Subversion, Cobertura
Chrome Systems, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer (Jan. 2010 - May 2011)
- Designing and crafting high-performance webservices while adding features
and improving code quality of existing products
- Integrating heterogeneous 3rd party data products into new and existing
- Building rich-client web applications using GWT for product/sales proof-
- Advocating best practices and encouraging the adoption of contemporary tools
- Championing unit testing, code reviews, code reuse, test coverage
- Technologies: Java, IntelliJ IDEA, JUnit, Mockito, Ant, Subversion,
Metro/JAX-WS (SOAP), WSDL, JAXB, Ant, Hudson/Jenkins, GWT, JDBC, Cobertura
Ensequence, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer (Nov. 2007 - Dec. 2009)
Designing and building tools to enable cutting-edge interactive movie and television experiences.
Shipping a feature-rich and robust Blu-ray (BD-J) runtime abstraction on
hundreds of movies and millions of discs worldwide.
Championing modern software engineering tools and methods to foster an
Technologies: Java/J2ME, Eclipse, BD-J, JUnit, Ant, Ivy, AspectJ,
Subversion, CVS, Proguard, Bugzilla, TeamCity, Hudson
Qsent Inc, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer (Dec. 2003 - Nov. 2007)
Designed, implemented, and maintained high-volume data processing
systems for data replication and realtime queries.
Technical project lead on large data processing and replication engine,
responsible for a substantial percentage of company revenue.
Technologies: Java 5.0, Eclipse, JUnit, Spring, JDBC, Oracle, MySQL,
Tomcat, SOAP, XML, WSDL, JSP, JSTL, JMS, JMX, JNDI, JNI, bash, Perl, CVS,
LDAP, Active Directory, Anthill, Ivy, Fit, Hudson.
Fluid Logic, Clackamas, OR
Embedded Engineer Contractor (2002-2004)
Designed and constructed the MIX-PRO flocculant timer/controller system.
Utilized Microchip PIC microcontroller, wrote software in PIC assembly,
designed schematic, created printed circuit board.
Designed and prototyped test equipment (hardware and software) for
measuring coefficients of static friction.
Utilized Atmel AVR, wrote software in C, interfaced with parallel LCD and
seral clinometer. Developed using gcc and open source tools under Linux.
Designed Fluid Logic website, managed email resources, general IT tasks.
GBSD Technologies Inc., Lubbock, TX
Embedded Engineer Contractor (2003-2004)
Created assembly code for Microchip PIC and Motorola 68HC12 for use in the
Compass e911 location system. Included SPI control routines and RS232
Assisted with PC serial interface code written in Perl.
Operator Service Company, Lubbock TX
Programmer/Analyst III, Project Lead (1997-2004)
Designed and implemented control process and communications API for
telephone line control device and out of band telecom switch signaling.
Designed and implemented directory assistance gateway server, including
custom document type definition (DTD) for extensible API in XML over TCP/IP.
Implemented suite of protocol converter daemons for multiple data vendors,
security functions, usage tracking, and billing.
Designed and implemented national directory assistance client application
for call center use (50,000+ calls / day).
Designed and implemented generic framework for call center applications in a
Generated database front-end applications, web-based reporting systems,
automated billing record generation, operator activity auditing, operator
account management interfaces, server and network monitoring processes,
and numerous other infrastructure applications.
- BS Electrical Engineering, Texas Tech University, 1999 (Cum Laude)
- BS Computer Science, Texas Tech University, 1999 (Cum Laude)
Extensive programming skills:
- Java/J2EE (8 years)
- C/C++ (10 years)
- Perl (8 years)
- XML, HTML, DTD, XSD (8 years)
- PHP (7 years)
- SQL/JDBC/ODBC (10 years)
- Concurrent/asynchronous/multithreaded software design
- TCP/IP network programming, sockets, n-tier architectures
- MFC and Windows APIs (4 years)
Other software experience:
- Python, bash, and other shell scripting
- GNU make/compile/debug toolchain
- RS232, SPI, and other device interface protocols
- Web and desktop UI design
- Linux and Windows install/admin
- 8051, x86, 68HC11/12 assembly
- Eagle, Accel, and PSpice (Orcad) schematic capture and PCB design
- Prototype PCB fabrication using various techniques
- Atmel AVR, Microchip PIC, and Motorola 68HC11/12 microcontrollers
- Use of bench test equipment (multimeter, oscilloscope, etc)
- Digital and analog circuit design
- PC hardware assembly/testing/troubleshooting
- Network wiring and installation
- 1st place, IEEE student paper contest (1999)
- 1st place, IEEE autonomous robot contest (1999)
- 1st place, TTU EE circuit design contest (1999)
- Texas Tech Dean's List and Honor List (1995-1999)
- 2nd place autonomous robot team at IEEE Region 5 conference contest (1998)
- Portland Dorkbot [People Doing Strange Things With Electricity]
- DIY/hobbyist circuit design/construction, electronic music, web design (ongoing).
- Member of HKN honor society (1998-present)
- FM radio disc jockey at KTXT, Lubbock, TX (1998-1999)
- IEEE/HKN student chapters at TTU (1997-1999)
- Engineering peer-mentor, Texas Tech (1997)
- American Field Service 1 year foreign exchange to Dortmund, Germany (1991-1992),
- Cycling, Yoga
Available upon request.