3215 NE 41st Avenue, Portland, OR 97212
Seeking a software engineering position with a creative and energetic
team to deliver killer, inspiring solutions.
Specific interests are in software observability, microservices and APIs, and
artistic application of technology.
New Relic, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer - Java Agent (Jun 2019 - Present)
- Wrote, built, and deployed the code that powers the New Relic Java agent,
used by thousands of customers on millions of instances.
- Constructed and maintained open source tools/libraries for JVM
observability, including Java Flight Recorder (JFR), OpenTelemetry, Kamon
(Scala), Micrometer (Spring), and Dropwizard (codahale).
- Administered 20+ public GitHub repositories and assisted community
engagement with issues and pull requests (code submissions).
(Specific links available upon request).
- Diagnosed and fixed highly technical support issues in across
extraordinarily diverse customer ecosystem.
- Advocated for best practices, gave talks, taught, and mentored.
- We used: Java, Kotlin, GitHub actions, docker, AWS, jenkins, sonatype,
gradle, gRPC, protobufs, azure pipelines, GraphQL, and nearly every popular
java library under the sun.
New Relic, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer - Agent Lifecycle (Apr 2018 - Jun 2019)
- Designed, built, deployed, scaled, and monitored high-volume environment
metadata API and supporting services.
- Conducted cloud migrations, owned software maintenance, devops and incident
response for extremely high-volume APIs and backend data services (hundreds
of millions of transactions per minute).
- Built, deployed, and maintained services that every New Relic APM
language-agent talked to every minute, and more! ~20M TPM
- We used: Java, Kotlin, Kafka, Spring Boot, gradle, vault, docker
Adidas Digital Sports, Portland, OR
Senior Manager Software Engineer (Sep 2016 - Dec 2017)
- Team lead, instrumental in the design, construction, and delivery of the
adidas AllDay server-side platform (supporting iOS and Android mobile apps).
- Owned the backend REST API design, system architecture, development process,
tech debt paydown, security, and scalability.
- Built a robust and mature CI/CD multi-stage pipeline
- Wore so many hats: coder, mentor, reviewer, devops, tester, interviewer,
tpm, agile coach, feature concept collaborator, story writer, sprint planner
- Collaborated/coordinated with onsite and offshore mobile, UI, UX, QA,
devops, data science, marketing, growth, legal, and management across 3
timezones in 5 countries.
- Handled data ingress and aggregation for 10M+ daily data points (200k users)
- Zero unplanned production downtime in 10+ months
- Stack: node.js, hapi/express, jwt, docker, couchbase, s3, aurora, bintray,
ecs, jenkins2, elb, cognito, terraform, new relic, redshift, sqs, react[...]
FlightStats, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer (Jan 2013 - Sep 2016)
- Team lead on several large-scale data aggregation applications and
- Architected, designed, and implemented early version of the FlightStats
data hub (https://github.com/flightstats/hub) using Spark, Jetty,
Jersey, Guice, Gson, Gradle and friends.
- Designed and implemented RESTful microservices to support FlightStats'
travel disruption management platform. Built role-based entitlements APIs
using HTML microdata with Spark, Jetty, Jersey, Guice, Gson and friends.
Integrated new APIs with existing/legacy systems.
- Bootstrapped FlightStats next-generation Data Acquisition platform as a
team lead in 2014. Designed and built fast and scalable microservice
APIs to support realtime collection/normalization of flight status and
position data from airline, airport, web, and other heterogeneous industry
sources (hundreds of millions per month). Leveraged technologies like
Node.js, AWS, Docker, GitHub, Grunt, Express, Bootstrap, Jade, Zookeeper,
Spark, Guice, jOOX, Gson, Lombok, Jenkins, New Relic, etc.
Ethan Rose / Parallel, Portland, OR
Technology lead (2014 - 2015)
- Assisted artist Ethan Rose in the hardware/software design, construction,
and installation of two permanent sound-art installations in Microsoft
building 83 in Redmond, WA.
- Elements - Ambient, experiential sound composition for the lobby of
building 83 at Microsoft. The piece reads realtime data from a
roof-mounted weather station and converts the information into evolving
sound parameters across 60+ ceiling mounted speakers. Used Pure Data (Pd),
node.js, Open Sound Control (OSC), GitHub, DropBox, Windows. See
- Landings - Complex swelling and decaying sounds spill out of 4 elevators
when passengers arrive at their destination. Sensor data is collected
via hardware interface to custom/commissioned elevator controller firmware.
Elevator floor arrival and door opening signals trigger sound composition in
Pure Data (Pd). Used Pd, C/C++, Open Sound Control (OSC), GitHub, DropBox,
IFS (State Street)
AVP (May 2011 - Dec 2012)
- Refactoring! More refactoring! Wrangling legacy apps into submission.
Championed best practices, developed coding standards, worked with
offshore teams, fighting the good fight...with throwing stars.
- Rewrote and refactored legacy code in a gargantuan code base. Developed
new features and bug fixes.
- Advocated best practices, performed code reviews, developed standards
- Technologies: Agile (XP), Java, IntelliJ IDEA, JUnit, swing, Spring
framework, Sybase, RMI, Maven, Jenkins, Subversion, Cobertura
Chrome Systems, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer (Jan. 2010 - May 2011)
- Designed and crafted high-performance webservices while adding features
and improving code quality of existing products
- Integrated heterogeneous 3rd party data products into new and existing
- Built rich-client web applications using GWT for product/sales proof-
- Advocated best practices and encouraged the adoption of contemporary tools
- Championed unit testing, code reviews, code reuse, test coverage
- Technologies: Java, IntelliJ IDEA, JUnit, Mockito, Ant, Subversion,
Metro/JAX-WS (SOAP), WSDL, JAXB, Ant, Hudson/Jenkins, GWT, JDBC, Cobertura
Ensequence, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer (Nov. 2007 - Dec. 2009)
- Designed and built tools to enable cutting-edge interactive movie and
- Shipped a feature-rich and robust Blu-ray (BD-J) runtime abstraction on
hundreds of movies and millions of discs worldwide.
- Championed modern software engineering tools and methods to foster an
- Technologies: Java/J2ME, Eclipse, BD-J, JUnit, Ant, Ivy, AspectJ,
Subversion, CVS, Proguard, Bugzilla, TeamCity, Hudson
Qsent Inc, Portland, OR
Senior Software Engineer (Dec. 2003 - Nov. 2007)
- Designed, implemented, and maintained high-volume data processing
systems for data replication and realtime queries.
- Technical project lead on large data processing and replication engine,
responsible for a substantial percentage of company revenue.
- Technologies: Java 5.0, Eclipse, JUnit, Spring, JDBC, Oracle, MySQL,
Tomcat, SOAP, XML, WSDL, JSP, JSTL, JMS, JMX, JNDI, JNI, bash, Perl, CVS,
LDAP, Active Directory, Anthill, Ivy, Fit, Hudson.
Extensive programming skills:
- Java ecosystem (20 years)
- Agile development practices (15+ years)
- REST / API design (7+ years)
- AWS (7+ years)
- Docker (5+ years)
- Concurrent/parallel/multithreaded/asynchronous software design
- Continuous integration / continuous delivery
Other software experience:
- Kotlin, Python, Pure Data (Pd), bash, Groovy, Scala, C/C++, Perl, PHP
- NoSQL: DynamoDB, MongoDB, Couchbase, Redis, Cassandra, S3
- SQL: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Aurora/RDS, Oracle, MSSQL, Sybase, JDBC/ODBC
- React, CSS, SASS, webpack, jQuery, Bootstrap, Materialize, AJAX, d3.js, p5.js
- JSON, YAML, XML, DTD, XSD, BNF
- Linux, OSX, Windows operating systems
- GNU make/compile/debug toolchain
- BS Electrical Engineering, Texas Tech University (Cum Laude)
- BS Computer Science, Texas Tech University (Cum Laude)
- Dorkbot Portland [People Doing Strange Things With Electricity]
- Bicycling 4000 miles in 2020
- Contributor to Futel (futel.net, nonprofit payphones)
- Alameda Elementary Walk/Bike program coordinator (PTA)
- DIY/synth/hobbyist/hacking/electronics/web/art/music (ongoing)
Available upon request.