Sun Jan 26 2020 23:00:00 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Like any other white-collar drone, "What did you get up to this weekend?" is the common smalltalk come Monday morning at the office. The usual response is something like "oh not too much, worked around the house" or something....which usually isn't complete nor accurate, but moves the situation along.
Well, this time, I'm prepared. What I do this weekend? Let's see...
- Started out the weekend strong by going to see this show with a couple friends. Captured By Robots has been on my radar for many many years, but I hadn't seen them live until this week. What a great idea and pretty excellent execution. My friend's friend is Ormus who opened with some heavy drums and sequenced synth leads backed by some rad realtime visuals.
- I took advantage of the break in the clouds (omg the sun was out!) to get on top of some dandelions in the yard and do some raking and general cleanup. This not a normal activity for mid January.
- Took a short nap. zzzzzz.
- Spent maybe 2 or 3 hours repairing the glass/digitizer on a broken iPad. A family member had broken
theirs and it was in pretty bad shape -- multiple cracks going across the entire glass, and shards
of glass near the top bezel were straight up gone/missing. I bought a replacement kit online
for $28 and managed to do the surgery. It wasn't easy, but it also wasn't insanely complicated.
The worst part was tracking down and removing all the glass shards and then cleaning up/removing the
old adhesive (yes, the glass/digitizer is just glued into the metal bezel).
- Made a light dinner and hung out with the progeny while he did some of that online video gaming.
- I sorted/partitioned about 700 images for eventual use in cuspid
(one of my software work-in-progress projects).
- Started Sunday off early with a quick trip to the market for dinner items before heading out
on a 25 mile bike ride. I was a little
worried about the weather since it started raining moderately during the first 10 minutes...
but it quickly turned into sprinkles and mostly lifted. The weather was actually really
- Checked out Richard Stanley's new Lovecraftian horror masterpiece Color Out of Space at the Hollywood Theater.
I absolutely fuckin loved it! I think it's pretty easily the best take on Lovecraft that
I've seen on film.
- Made this pretty delicious kale/potato/sausage/mushroom soup.
- Jumped my mom's car battery for her
- Snuggled down with the kiddo to learn about the history of sub-hour speed running in Mario Odyssey
- Wrote the blog post you're reading now!
Something something idle hands...